Website City of Barrie
The Building Department is part of the Infrastructure and Growth Management Division. The Building Department is responsible for administering and enforcing the Ontario Building Code to ensure the safety of the City’s residents. This includes processing permits for construction of dwelling units, and industrial, commercial and institutional buildings, as well as conducting site inspections, and responding to complaints/enquiries that relate to building construction and grading.
- Additionally, this position processes and issues permits on behalf of the Chief Building Official when an application is deemed to comply with the prescribed requirements of the Ontario Building Code, applicable municipal by-laws, and/or development agreements.
- Moreover, this position investigates and researches complaints regarding contraventions of the Ontario Building Code and/or applicable municipal by-laws and issues applicable building orders when required.
- Under the general guidance and direction of the Supervisor of Building Services, the Building Official position examines permit applications, plans, and specifications and/or conducts inspections for the construction, renovation, change of use, and demolition of residential and/or accessory buildings to enforce compliance with the Ontario Building Code, applicable municipal by-laws, and/or development agreements.
- Lastly, this position provides functional and/or technical guidance, direction, or interpretations to various stakeholders regarding the Ontario
- Building Code and applicable municipal by-laws.
- Overall, this position plays an integral role in ensuring that the construction, renovation, change of use and demolition activities of buildings within the City are properly examined and inspected to provide and maintain a level of quality that complies with the Ontario Building Code and applicable municipal by-laws to protect public health, safety ensuring efficient construction within the City of Barrie.
- General knowledge of the following principles and standards: building design and construction principles; lot grading and drainage control principles.residential building construction methods to evaluate the construction of structural, mechanical, fire safety provisions and lot grading practices; inspection processes and plans examination review processes; current traditional and/or contemporary building industry issues, trends and best practices; and municipal government services and programs.
- Qualifications in the following categories as defined under Part 3, Division C of the Building Code from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH): General/Legal Process; House; HVAC – House; Plumbing – House
- Eligibility for and willingness to obtain and maintain the Certified Building Code Official (CBCO) Designation from the Ontario Building Officials Association (OBOA)
- Registered Building Official with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH)
- Working knowledge of the following legislation, regulations, or requirements: the Building Code Act; Ontario Building Code.
- General knowledge of the following legislation, regulations, or requirements: Construction Regulations; Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Valid Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH)
- Three (3) year College Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, Architectural Technology and/or related discipline
- Two (2) years of experience performing duties related to the above mentioned major responsibilities
Company: City of Barrie
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Barrie, Ontario, CA
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com